Customers SupportDocumentation

Old 07-04-2010, 01:37 AM
vBulletin Skin Zone Staff

Re: vBulletin 4 Updates

By stable platform my plan is to now create my own coding framework for vB4. The reason being:
  • The current StyleVars system is terrible
  • The HTML is terrible
  • The CSS is terrible
The biggest problem is IB are still fixing updating the style backend and by version 4.1 there will be a major overhaul: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...te-on-progress

This leaves me in a difficult position as I could be investing large amount of time in something that will break next week/month.

(I'll be honest, I've looked into IPB for one of my communities)

Last edited by admin; 07-04-2010 at 01:39 AM.
Old 07-04-2010, 01:47 AM

My five cents to add to that would be when 4.1 is released, 4.2 will be just around the corner, when 4.2 is released, 5.0 may be 12 months away.

While like every other customer I don't mind waiting, isn't the "Waiting for the next version" excuse is one that could go on forever and ever?

Personally I would like to install 4.0.3 with a renewed licence for Red Carbon.
Old 07-04-2010, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubbed View Post
My five cents to add to that would be when 4.1 is released, 4.2 will be just around the corner, when 4.2 is released, 5.0 may be 12 months away.

While like every other customer I don't mind waiting, isn't the "Waiting for the next version" excuse is one that could go on forever and ever?

Personally I would like to install 4.0.3 with a renewed licence for Red Carbon.

and if v5 was out in 12 months are you going to cough up another $300 to IB? That is what will happen with each version they produce,no update price anymore.

IB will lose 90% of their remaining customers in an instant. 1000's have already gone,many of the biggest boards have left, I know 2 admins that held 30+licenses that have moved all their forums to other platforms. IB cannot get v4 right ,lets not even contemplate v5 coming out.
Old 07-04-2010, 08:52 AM

^-- wut.

That is completely irrelevant to this discussion... If I was just going to up and leave vBulletin I would have done so already.
Old 07-04-2010, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubbed View Post
^-- wut.

That is completely irrelevant to this discussion... If I was just going to up and leave vBulletin I would have done so already.

Really? Please re-read your post.

Originally Posted by Stubbed
Quote:
This is what you posted,you assert that vB v5 is "maybe 12 months away".

IF that is the case all those on v4 will be left without updates and have to pay in full yet again for v5.

v5 will also mean yet more changes to CSS/style handling and therefore more changes for coders/theme makers unless the vague promises of improvements to the stylevar system actually come to fruition within the lifespan of v4.
Old 07-04-2010, 10:21 AM

Really? Please re-read my posts, and your posts. Wow I'm so witty.

The reference to vB5 was an overly exaggerated example, which should have been obvious to most people. Renewal costs for vB5 have got absolutely nothing to do with the point I was making in that post, which was "Waiting for the next version is a never ending game."

/end
Old 07-04-2010, 01:46 PM

If Red Carbon was available for IPB (hint..) I'd probably move...

L
Old 07-04-2010, 03:25 PM

Please keep it clean guys

I understand your concerns and you have very valid points. From what I've gathered 4.1 will be the final "sorting" of the style system, but to be honest we've heard it all before. The idea with the framework is that we bypass the current system and its flaws. 4.0.3 will be released at the latter end of this week, which according to the bug reports should fix alot of bugs.

There are a few issues with using a custom framework. Only LRT will be support upon release, 3rd party mods will be less likely to work (among other issues).
Old 07-04-2010, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaestroX View Post
Please keep it clean guys

I understand your concerns and you have very valid points. From what I've gathered 4.1 will be the final "sorting" of the style system, but to be honest we've heard it all before. The idea with the framework is that we bypass the current system and its flaws. 4.0.3 will be released at the latter end of this week, which according to the bug reports should fix alot of bugs.

There are a few issues with using a custom framework. Only LRT will be support upon release, 3rd party mods will be less likely to work (among other issues).

If you are going down the framework route and 3rd party mods are affected then there is no more interest for me in the skins.
Old 07-04-2010, 05:39 PM

This is why I'm weighing up different options. Some solutions won't suit all customers.

With the 3 series mod/style developers had a solid framework to work with (tcat. thead .alt1 .alt2 .tfoot classes). With the 4 series, we've got alot of inconsistencies, page to page, element to element.

I'm sure you can see why many other skin developers have walked.

Tags
announcement